The Utah Indigent Defense Commission's continuing legal education program provides targeted training, resources, and support to build a robust, connected community of specialized indigent defense practitioners who elevate the quality of representation.
1. Address regional gaps in training opportunities for attorneys to keep current with legal developments and best practices.
2. Support specialization among defense attorneys in areas of adult criminal, juvenile delinquency, child welfare, and appellate advocacy.
3. Connect defense practitioners with each other to discuss shared interests, concerns, or problems.
4. Collaborate with existing training providers to expand capacity to reach attorneys who are appointed on indigent defense cases.
5. Provide scholarships that enable attorneys to attend regional and national trainings on topics not currently offered in Utah.
6. Educate indigent defense systems and attorneys about Core Principles to facilitate their access to grant funding and ensure compliance with grant program requirements.
Upcoming CLE events are listed on the Home page.
IDC Webinar: "Aftermath of Carpenter: An Empirical Study of 4th Amendment Law, 2018-2021." Jan 28, 2022. 1 hour of self-study CLE credit has been approved.
Dr. Tokson discusses his research and findings to be published soon in a "Harvard Law Review" article.
IDC Webinar: "Panel Discussion on Best Jury Selection Practices and How to Raise Race with Potential Jurors," Nov 5, 2021. 1 hour of self-study CLE credit is approved.
IDC Webinar: "Collateral Consequences of Criminal Convictions" March 23, 2021. 1 hour of self-study CLE credit approved.
IDC Webinar: "Get Woke: A Candid Discussion on Race in Utah Courtrooms" January 12, 2021. 1 hour of self-study ethics CLE credit approved.
Limited IDC scholarships may be available.
IDC scholarships can be used to cover registration fees and travel expenses, such as meals, lodging, mileage, airfare, etc. to attend both in-state and out-of-state conferences and CLE events.
Download the IDC Scholarship Policy and read it carefully. Submit the Application Form, along with the appropriate travel pre-authorization form, to the IDC at email@example.com.
Please see the CLE event announcements below for any special scholarship requirements.